(Oracle Issues Fix for Oracle Linux) ntp Multiple Flaws Let Remote Users Deny Service, View Files, and Bypass Authentication to Modify the Time
SecurityTracker Alert ID: 1034232|
SecurityTracker URL: http://securitytracker.com/id/1034232
(Links to External Site)
Date: Nov 24 2015
Denial of service via network, Disclosure of system information, Disclosure of user information, Modification of system information, Modification of user information|
Fix Available: Yes Vendor Confirmed: Yes |
Version(s): prior to 4.2.8p4|
Multiple vulnerabilities were reported in ntp. A remote user can view files on the target system. A remote user can cause denial of service conditions on the target system. A remote user can bypass authentication. A remote user can modify the time on the target system.|
A remote user can trigger a memory leak in CRYPTO_ASSOC [CVE-2015-7701].
A remote user can send AutoKey messages with a specially crafted AutoKey data packet length value to cause denial of service conditions [CVE-2015-7691, CVE-2015-7692, CVE-2015-7702].
A remote user can overwrite "pidfile" and "driftfile" configuration file directives [CVE-2015-7703].
A remote user can supply specially crafted data to cause denial of service conditions [CVE-2015-7704, CVE-2015-7705].
A remote user can trigger a mode 7 loop counter integer overflow in ntpd [CVE-2015-7848].
A remote user can trigger a use-after-free memory error in the processing of trusted keys [CVE-2015-7849].
A remote user can exploit a logfile-keyfile configuration flaw to cause denial of service conditions [CVE-2015-7850].
A remote user can exploit a directory traversal flaw in ntpd saveconfig [CVE-2015-7851].
A remote user can trigger a memory corruption error in the ntpq atoascii() function [CVE-2015-7852].
A remote user can supply specially crafted reference clock data to trigger a buffer overflow [CVE-2015-7853].
A remote user can supply a specially crafted password value to trigger a memory corruption error [CVE-2015-7854].
A remote user can send a specially crafted control packet message to exploit a flaw in decodenetnum() to cause denial of service conditions [CVE-2015-7855].
A remote user can exploit a flaw in the crypto-NAK() function to bypass symmetric association authentication [CVE-2015-7871].
Cisco ASIG, IDA, Cisco TALOS, Tenable, RedHat, OpenVMS, and Boston University reported these vulnerabilities.
A remote user can modify time on the target system.|
A remote user can view files on the target system.
A remote user can cause denial of service conditions.
A remote user can bypass authentication on the target system.
Oracle has issued a fix for CVE-2015-7704.|
The Oracle Linux advisory is available at:
Vendor URL: linux.oracle.com/errata/ELSA-2015-2231.html (Links to External Site)
Access control error, Boundary error, Input validation error|
|Underlying OS: Linux (Oracle)|
|Underlying OS Comments: 7|
This archive entry is a follow-up to the message listed below.|
Source Message Contents
Subject: [El-errata] ELSA-2015-2231 Moderate: Oracle Linux 7 ntp security, bug fix, and enhancement update|
Oracle Linux Security Advisory ELSA-2015-2231
The following updated rpms for Oracle Linux 7 have been uploaded to the
Unbreakable Linux Network:
Description of changes:
- check origin timestamp before accepting KoD RATE packet (CVE-2015-7704)
- allow only one step larger than panic threshold with -g (CVE-2015-5300)
- validate lengths of values in extension fields (CVE-2014-9297)
- drop packets with spoofed source address ::1 (CVE-2014-9298)
- reject packets without MAC when authentication is enabled (CVE-2015-1798)
- protect symmetric associations with symmetric key against DoS attack
- fix generation of MD5 keys with ntp-keygen on big-endian systems
- add option to set Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) (#1202828)
- add nanosecond support to SHM refclock (#1117702)
- allow creating all SHM segments with owner-only access (#1122012)
- allow different thresholds for forward and backward step (#1193154)
- allow symmetric keys up to 32 bytes again (#1191111)
- don't step clock for leap second with -x option (#1191122)
- don't drop packets with source port below 123 (#1171640)
- retry joining multicast groups (#1207014)
- increase memlock limit again (#1053569)
- warn when monitor can't be disabled due to limited restrict (#1191108)
- use larger RSA exponent in ntp-keygen (#1191116)
- fix crash in ntpq mreadvar command (#1180721)
- move sntp kod database to allow SELinux labeling (#1082934)
- fix typos in ntpd man page (#1195211)
- improve documentation of restrict command (#1213953)
El-errata mailing list